Jim Huang (tyhuang@OCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:40:46 -0800

On 27 Dec 99, at 8:43, Neil Baumgardner wrote:

> > Those are Zabist. The Zabis and their followers are never "his"
> > people. That's pretty clear from the First Gundam. From what I can
> > tell of this discussion, people are not making the distinction of
> > Zabist, Side 3, and what Char considers his people. Those 3 sets
> > overlap with each other, but by no mean equal.
>
> Just tell me who those people are that fight for him in CCA then. Are
> you telling me their not the same malcontents that fought in ZZ, Z or
> even the OYW?

Spacenoids who are loyal to Char, and even the ideal of his father
Jion Zum Daikun. Had you listen to Char's speech to his fellowers
in CCA?

"When my father, Zion Daikun, submitted a request for spacenoid
independance, he was assassinated by the Zabi family. And that
Zabi family took the Zion name and declared a war of independance
against Earth. As you all know, this resulted in the defeat of the
Zabi family. So be it. But as a result, the Earth Federal Government
became megalomaniacal, the Federal Forces decayed internally. In
reaction to Titans, anti-Federation groups were born, and Hamaan,
Zabi fugitives, ran rampant."

That's not an ideal translation, but close enough. Does Char
sounds like he was talking to the royal fellowers of Mineva
Zabi/Harman Khan?

> > Well, Char, with all his newtype power, is certainly not all
> > knowing. But we are endowed with the hindsight of Hathaway novels,
> > F91, V Gundam, and Gaia Gear to see the consquence of Char's
> > failure. And with this 20/20 hindsight, I can say those other
> > options, especially "just give federation more time", made Char's
> > solution very apealing to me.

> A lot of mistakes in history could be avoided through 20/20 hindsight.
> However, what this doesnt show is what the consequences of a different
> action would have. I still stick to the voice of the majority, even if
> they are 'wrong.'

I would hardly call the Earthnoids elite the "majority".

Jim Huang