Mon, 27 Dec 1999 08:32:32 -0500

Tomonaga wrote:

> The main sticking points seem to arise because Roland and Neil associate Newtypes with Aryans, and have problems with 'Newtypes leading humanity into a new era theory' because they relate this to 'Master Race leading humanity into a new era theory'. But I say Newtypes are not Aryans and they cannot be held in this light.

Sorry, I didnt mean to monopolize the arguement by making a direct Newtype-Aryan relation which therefore could not be argued against. It was si mply the best modern example I could think, but is in no way totally the same.

> If we were talking about the real world and a small group of 'we are superior' people claimed to possess special abilities decided to lead mankind to a new era of peace and harmony, then ofcourse I would object and produce the Hitler-Aryan argument such as you have done. But this is because of my sceptism of their claims and abilities...

However, making the assumption that Gundam is a semi-realistic world, I tend to think of this in perspective of the skepticism that the majority non-Newtypes majority would have.

> However it is evident from UC stories that Newtype ability is real, and people actually exist in the UC universe with paranormal abilities which for better or worse gives them heightened awareness of the environement above and beyond those of normal humans. I accept their abilities in their universe, but I guess some people watching the anime find it hard accept such a notion despite it being only a work of fiction.

Alright, granted, but I guess I would return to my statement above.

> And as in the example of the people stranded in volcanic ash fallout, the ability to see through the ash to safety should be undeniable. But it seems that Roland and Neil find it hard to believe that 1) they can see through it at all, and 2) what they are seeing can't be relied upon.
>
> If we accept the fact that they can see through the ash, what is wrong with them leading the way out for the rest of the group? What would you do if you had the ability in that same situation ? Doing nothing meant you were all stuck there for a long long time and die. Half of the people believed you , and the other half refuse to move but you needed everyone's help to move the obstacle blocking the way out. I think this situation closely parallels the situation Char felt he was in. If you didn't read the example carefully the first time, please do.

The problem is here is that rather than simply taking his people and leaving, Char's solution was to kill most of the other people, and then take his people and leave.

> The Newtypes just want to usher in an era of peace and harmony. They want to end all the fighting and the senseless loss of lives for the betterment of mankind. They have no sinister agendas, they have no desire to restrict people's freedom in anyway, or dictate how people should live. But I have to admit if I heard a real political movement making these types of claims, I would immediately right them off ... : -)

Again, I tend to think of it in the latter situation. I also tend to object, simply from my grounding in the democratic tradition. Again, refer to my comments about whether the franchise (voting rights) should be restricted to the most educated people. If that took place admittedly a lot of things would probably work in this country a lot better. But at the same time they would inevitably institute policies that help their social strata at the expense of the disenfranchised. With no voice, the non-voters would inevitably be left to their own devices.

Unless you believe in a benevolent rule, which has never lasted in all of human history, this would happen in the Gundam world. Throw in the belief in Newtypes as superior compared to normals, thats a recipe for a class society, where only the Newtypes have privelidge, but normals are the workers. History has taught us that when a small elite leads, this inevitably happens. As such, if if Newtypes are right, I will stick with the majority. Newtypes have the right to rule themselves or have human rights, but not to rule everyone else.

Neil Baumgardner