Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 13:15:47 +1300

Roland Thigpen wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:39:26 -0500 John Kwok <johnkkwok@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >There was NO HINT or MENTION that Char suffered any physical injuries from
> >his final battle with Harman! He was getting beat very badly by the Quebely,
> >but still managed to escape on his own terms.
> >

> Ok. Like I said, I've only read a summary of what happened in the final episodes, with its reports of Char getting beaten by Hamaan and the torso of his Type 100 drifting by with its cockpit hatch open at the end. Still, with all the damage we have seen other pilots take from shrpanel within their cockpits from hits on various parts of their MSes, it is hard to imagine he didn't take any kind of damage, whether to the head or not. But,I won't make any kind of final judgement until I actually see the episodes.
>
> And actually, the defeat he received at her hands could also have affected him mentaly, making him crazy. There is alot to be said for psychological defeats.
>
> >Bottom line is, they ignored most of what he did in Z to tell a better story
> >between the two eternal rivals, Amuro and Char. The movie was more or less
> >designed for people who did not follow the Z and ZZ series and wouldn't be
> >able to make sense of the shifting political alliances of the characters.
> >Superficially, the storyline could have happened without any of the events
> >in the TV series taking place! (Bright and Amuro back with the Federation,
> >Char back with the Zeons, etc.)
> >

> Be that as it may, Char still undergoes a radical shift if philosphical outlook and general personality between the original series and CCA. By CCA, he has taken on the fanatic's role of believing he is better qualified than anyone in judging what is best for humanity. Ie, his way is the only way and damn anyone who tries to stop him and the lives it takes to prove it. IOW, he has become like Giren Zabi, Napoleon, Musolini, Stalin and Hitler (with only slightly less blood on his hands in the end). Anyways, the fact is that Zeta did take place before CCA, and that they are both part of the same timeline. Therefore, Char's personality in Zeta must be taken into account, whether or not you have seen all of it. This makes his personality change even harder to accept without insanity being the cause.
>
> In the beginning, I could easily identify with him and agree with what he was trying to do (whether or not I would have done things that way myself). But by CCA, he has become a mad dog, needing to be put down and be put down hard.

If you follow the Char story line from 0079 through to CCA and viewed the series in a language you understand, you should know that the only drastic change Char made was from Casval to Char pre-0079. Revenge aside, continuation or fulfillment of his father's dream has always been his goal right from the start. Granted, he has misinterpreted some of his father's ideals but this has been evident from 0079. He didn't suddenly turn into a mad man because of physical or psychological injury. After the downfall of the Zabi regime, he concentrated more on achieving his father's goals and his participation in AEUG was partly to find out if and how the Earthnoids have changed their ways. But he learnt to his dismay that nothing has really changed. Earthnoids will continue to be earthnoids and the human
race can not take the next step up on the evolutionary ladder until all of humanity has been set free from Earth.

I can understand where you are coming from though Roland. Good honourable bad guy(0079) fights for good(AEUG) then turns bad(CCA). But this is looking at it at a very simple level. The world is not black and white, and certainly this is true of the UC universe. Char is a very complex character and although it seems he became a 'bad' guy in CCA, he was freeing the human race from the minority that ruled from Earth. You have to bear in mind that in the UC world, majority of the human race has been forced, yes forced, by the Earth Federation to move to space. That is to say there are billions of people living in space colonies and only a few million living on Earth. Most of the people that are living on Earth are powerful political,military, corporate elite 'the creme de la creme' of human
society and their service personnel. It is these people, most of who have never set foot in space, who are governing the billions in space colonies, making life altering decisions without fully understanding life in space. Forcing these close-minded stubborn elitists to move to space doesn't seem so bad does it?? It was never Char's intention to kill every remaining person on Earth. Yes some lives were sure to be lost in and around the impact sites but the majority of the people on Earth would have been able to move to space. And once this was achieved all of humanity was free to evolve into newtypes and begin a new era of peace and harmony.

One of Char's father's beliefs was that the newtypes will help humanity take the next evolutionary step. It is not that Char himself was trying to manipulate humanity for his own pleasure but he felt it was his duty/destiny as a newtype to do so. Although Char had always known, his colleagues in AEUG in Z Gundam convinved Char that he has to step forward and accept leadership.

Char didn't go mad, Char wasn't brain damaged, Char didn't go through a personality transplant. Char was just doing what he thought was his duty to his father and the human race.

Will you be willing to sacrifice the lives of a few million people to save the lives of billions? Or is value of a single life so important that you would doom the lives of billions to save it ?

It is a difficult question to answer, but I guess in a black and white world the hero would always risk his life and those of others to save one life regardless of the consequences...

Tet