Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:48:28 -0800

Neil asks,

> Okay, now that is resolved, here's another point in question (not so much to
> question the date, just something to resolve). How do we resolve on the one
> hand, the picture from the newspaper at the end of 0080, which, if I'm
> understanding it right, shows the treaty signing between the Federation and
> Zeon,

  That's apparently the interpretation Sunrise has decided to go with. So
the number of stars does signify Side 3, and the colony design is wrong
after all...

> and on the other hand the picture from the front of the 100% Newtype 0083
> book that shows the supposed same signing ceremony.

  I don't know whether Sunrise has an opinion on this illustration. ;-)

> Maybe the '0083' one is the initial surrender by the Zeon military and the
> '0080'one is the following peace treaty by the civilian leaders of the
> Federation and the new Zeon Republic?

  That's a reasonable interpretation. What's the logo pictured in the
NewType book? If it's the thorny spiky Zeon logo, then it's not the flag of
the Republic. And if the men standing under it are in military garb, then
they're not government officials...

-- Mark