John Kwok (johnkkwok@hotmail.com)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:39:26 -0500

There was NO HINT or MENTION that Char suffered any physical injuries from
his final battle with Harman! He was getting beat very badly by the Quebely,
but still managed to escape on his own terms.

Bottom line is, they ignored most of what he did in Z to tell a better story
between the two eternal rivals, Amuro and Char. The movie was more or less
designed for people who did not follow the Z and ZZ series and wouldn't be
able to make sense of the shifting political alliances of the characters.
Superficially, the storyline could have happened without any of the events
in the TV series taking place! (Bright and Amuro back with the Federation,
Char back with the Zeons, etc.)

----- Original Message -----
From: Roland Thigpen <jenius@unspacy.org>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 1999 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: Re:[gundam] more about Londo Bell & SRW

> On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:45:15 -0500 John Kwok <johnkkwok@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> >When you suffer from Oxygen deprivation I think you end up like Amuro's
dad
> >(regressed to a almost child-like state...) NOT become a megalomaniac
like
> >Char. I think his views are just a natural progression of his own warped
> >self-righteousness.
> >

> I'm not sure either, but it could also have come about from other head
damage inflicted in the final battle, etc. I haven't seen the episode yet,
but have read a summary of it. It is not clear what kind of damage Char took
to his body itself, if any. I'm not saying it isn't possible that Char could
go that mad on his own, but it is a very radical step he took from taking
vengeance against those who killed his father (and then later trying to save
people from the Titan tyranny)to trying to totally destroying Earth's
ecosphere, forcing everyone who survived to leave, thus becoming spacenoids
themselves. It is almost a complete reversal of the honorable person he was
in the first 2 series. I don't see this as a natural progression of his
thoughts. Then again, I don't have the Japanese perspective on psychology,
only my own.

> As for Char being self-righteous, well, to some degree we all are. I don't
see him as any more self-righteous than Amuro or Bright, at least before
CCA. In CCA, he takes on the role of one the men he most despises, Giren
Zabi, a seeming complete reversal of his personality. That's a little too
much of a change for me to swallow without blaming it on some kind of brain
damage. Maybe I just don't have a megalomaniac's view of the universe and
his role in it to give me perspective.