-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:33:29 -0800

At 18:55 12/19/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>-Z- wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Going through the timeline, I can't determine the transit time to and from
>> Jupiter because I can only find departure and arrival dates, but not
>> both. Time to dig out the old ephemeris and crunch some numbers.
>
>Can you determine/guess numbers of Jupiteris from the departure and arrival
>dates?

No, because we don't know how many ships might be making the transit at a
time. It's the Jupiter Energy FLEET, which implies more than one ship. It
could be dozens or hundreds or thousands. There may some figures buried in
Crossbone Gundam, but I've yet to find them. Mark?

For what it's worth, Scirocco's Jupiteris was the last of its line. Energy
transport was suspended for the duration of the Titans conflict and
subsequent Neo Zeon regime. They resumed with the launch of the Jupiteris
II from the Earth Sphere on 15 March 0089.

>> <snip>
>>
>> The transit time itself works out to 2.7 years, so the ship that's launched
>> from Jupiter the same day that you send one out won't get here until midway
>> between your second and third outbound launch. For Scirocco's Jupitoris to
>> arrive in the Earth Sphere on 29 April 0087, it must've been launched circa
>> August or September 0084 -- just a few months after the Titans came to
power.

>Wohoo! Yet another plot device for my erstwhile 0084 campaign! A giant
starship
>in orbit!

Just remember that every ship that appears in the Earth Sphere at a given
time must have departed over 30 months earlier if coming from Jupiter and
18 to 26 months earlier if coming from the Asteroid Belt.

>> Someone on the Z Gundam staff did their homework on this. They have the
>> Axis asteroid beginning it's journey to the Earth Sphere on 6 February 0086
>> and arriving on 2 October 0087. Not knowing where Axis might actually have
>> been situated in the Asteroid Belt, I looked up the figures for
>> 1Ceres. The transit time works out to 1.84 years, which is damned close to
>> the transit time given for Axis. And the synodic period is 1.28 years, so
>> the launch could take place as scheduled. The delta-V is actually higher
>> than for an Earth-Jupiter run, about 9.5 to 9.8 km/sec.
>
>I'm probably in for a lot more than I was looking for, but if that's so,
what's
>with the 6 month Earth to the Moon transit times I've heard predicted using
>nuclear propulsion?

I think that six months to MARS, not the Moon. With that kind of
propulsion, you could get to the Moon within a day or so, about half the
time of a Hohmann transfer, which takes about 72 hours.

-Z-