Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:55:56 -0500

-Z- wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Going through the timeline, I can't determine the transit time to and from
> Jupiter because I can only find departure and arrival dates, but not
> both. Time to dig out the old ephemeris and crunch some numbers.

Can you determine/guess numbers of Jupiteris from the departure and arrival
dates?

> <snip>
>
> The transit time itself works out to 2.7 years, so the ship that's launched
> from Jupiter the same day that you send one out won't get here until midway
> between your second and third outbound launch. For Scirocco's Jupitoris to
> arrive in the Earth Sphere on 29 April 0087, it must've been launched circa
> August or September 0084 -- just a few months after the Titans came to power.

Wohoo! Yet another plot device for my erstwhile 0084 campaign! A giant starship
in orbit!

> Someone on the Z Gundam staff did their homework on this. They have the
> Axis asteroid beginning it's journey to the Earth Sphere on 6 February 0086
> and arriving on 2 October 0087. Not knowing where Axis might actually have
> been situated in the Asteroid Belt, I looked up the figures for
> 1Ceres. The transit time works out to 1.84 years, which is damned close to
> the transit time given for Axis. And the synodic period is 1.28 years, so
> the launch could take place as scheduled. The delta-V is actually higher
> than for an Earth-Jupiter run, about 9.5 to 9.8 km/sec.

I'm probably in for a lot more than I was looking for, but if that's so, what's
with the 6 month Earth to the Moon transit times I've heard predicted using
nuclear propulsion?

    Neil Baumgardner