WooJin (leew5@earthlink.net)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:20:07 -0500

well, actually, there is no differenciation in Japanese for the r and l
sounds. It actually sounds more like an "R" but since there is no L sound
in Japanese, they use it for both sounds.

WooJin Lee woojin@rpgfan.com
RPGFan Editor &Message Board Admin
http://www.rpgfan.com

----- Original Message -----
From: Roland Thigpen <jenius@unspacy.org>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 1999 11:51
Subject: Re:[gundam] spelling or pronunciation differences?

> On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:35:09 +0800 Joshua <joshua@egis.net> wrote:
> >I was just wondering why all the Gundam related sites call him Bright
Noah,
> >while on the Bandai 20th anniversary box set of 1/20 character figures,
> >he's called Blight Noah?
> >
> >Joshua
> >

> I believe it is from translation and phonetics problems. In Japanese, the
r and l sounds are similar or something like this (at least this is what
I've always heard). Thus it is sometimes hard to get accurate tranlsations.
For another example, Miria Jenius from Macross and Macross 7 is often
translated as Milia instead. This is also a problem for other letters as
well, but I can't remember the exact ones right now.