Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 07:00:58 +0800

From: Tabby <tabby@psn.net>

> According to McFarlane Toys personnel, it's poor quality control. A
> specific problem is rapid production requirements not allowing for the
> plastic cool slowly enough, thus things like wobbly swords and weak
joints.
> One quote from a McFarlane employee running a concert booth: "You try
> getting out three series a year with ankles smaller than your pinky and
see
> how well they stand!"

Interesting... So even his employees have the same idea of
self-consternation... I have even more respect for them now.

If anything, I do know that Todd's business is still one of the best run in
the industry (I base these mostly from comments made by Whilce Portacio
about how he's set up) and I still like the products he comes out with...

> I sell them every day, to college students. A vast majority of our figure
> stock comes from overstock sales from toy stores. Once christmas is over
> and the particular cartoon is off the air, toy stores can't *give* them
> away to little kids.

I think we also get the overstock sales from there. It's the same case here
too, many of the action figures are eventually put on sale come Christmas.

But the aspect of selling the action figure to college folk is different
here. We don't have that many people who customize figures or secondary
markets to sell them off in order to make a quick profit - so college
students don't usually collect them. Collectors shops often have their own
sources to acquire the toys they DO want, like McFarlane - which are often
not wanted by the dept. stores.

Nice talking to you Tabs,

Fed