Peter Savin (pedro@shiporama.org)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:26:29 -0800

>now i've got to ask: why are some kits molded in this color? did
>something go wrong in bandai? or they really aren't able to mold a perfect
>white with plastic back then?
>

>Companies knew how to make white back then, it just didn't matter because
>most people who bought these kits were model builders who painted the kits
>anyways. But now with the new process of truer color matching and snap
>building, Bandai is able to open the market to non-model builders as well.
> These are just my thoughts on this.

Many many older anime kits were molded in this horrible green (though not
too many of the Gundam kits). I used to build alot of Macross stuff, and
nearly all of the smaller kits were molded in this color. I think the
plastic was cheaper. This is probably the 'default' color for a particular
type of plastic, and adding the color beads would cost extra. I remember
having trouble painting over it as well, which turned out to be mold
release. Make sure to wash your parts thoroughly before painting. :)

Peter Savin
pedro@shiporama.org