garrick lee (kapshiaw@yahoo.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:45:05 -0800 (PST)

uhm, joshua...it's not really fair to blame the voice
actors when translations are the problem.

that said, i think the voice actors (of gma,
specifically?) did a very good job. certainly better
than the tagalog evangelion. and even more, when you
compare it to the tagalog dubbing of transformers and
gijoe (currently showing at channel 5).

while "hangal!" (fool) and "tikman mo to!" (take
this!) and "kainin mo to!" (eat this!) and such
literal phrases abound in g gundam (and ultraman, and
ghost fighter, and everything else translated), that's
something we're going to have to grin and bear.
they're not half as bad as "kinidlatang sandata ng
kamatayan" (lightning weapon of death) for voltes v's
"laser sword". :P

the dialogue is not that senseless, but more
complicated than it needs to be. true, and not
literal translation of dialogues (and not just the
macho phrases) is something that the translators may,
hopefully, get the hang of.

-garrick