Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:03:56 -0500

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 20:28:24 -0800 Rodrick Su <rsu@tigana.com> wrote:

>I have thus far sampled 4 UC timeline TV show, and the reason why the
>main character joined up to involved in fighting are somewhat varied...
>
>Amuro Rey: Join up mainly to keep himself alive, Side 7 was under a
>surprise attack. Later, when the Federation used White Base as a
>grand decoy and field test bed, he really doesn't have much of a choice.
>
>Camille Vidan: Join up to fight tyrany of Titans. Titan was
>responsibled for the death of both of his parents.
>
>Judo Ashita: Join up at first to make money, and for fun. Haven't
>watch too much beyond episode 1 yet.
>
>Usso Ebbing: Join up mainly to keep others from harms. If he doesn't
>fight, his friends and other innocents will be killed.
>
>Amuro basically mentally reduced his enemy into kill statistic, so he
>doesn't have to imagined killing human. Usso seemed to go out of his
>way not to kill enemy, and this has caused him quite a bit of problem.
>
>[ Rodrick Su [ ]
>[ rsu@tigana.com [ Life is a work in progress ]

Shiro: Willing pilot for the Federation, much like Gato in that he was a pilot fighting for what he believed in. At first, didn't mind killing Jion troops (no more than any other normal human being), but after meeting Aina began to try to avoid outright killing of the enemy if he could.

And in F91, Seabook joined up because he was coerced into piloting the F91 (ie, the Feddies threatened his little sister) and then later to get Cecily back. Once that was done, he was pretty much just caught up in the whole pilot thing like Amuro, and fought to defend his friends and family.

BTW, anyone else notice how almost evil, or at least callous, most of the Feddie troops seemed in F91? There were like 4 or 5 instances in just the first hour of the movie of Fed commanders wanting to use children as shields or troops. Not to mention the all the attacks on the colony itself using warship cannons. Granted the Crossbone Vanguard wasn't much better most of the time.

Roland