-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 20:26:01 -0800

At 23:59 12/3/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>>> The full list would be:
>>>
>>> Western Eastern
>>> ------- -------
>>> FIRE FIRE
>>> WATER WATER
>>> EARTH MOUNTAIN
>>> AIR WIND
>>> WOOD or FOREST
>>> GOLD VOID
>>
>>Hmm....well I am chinese, and the way I known the five elements has always
>>been Gold(or morr accurately - Metal), Wood/Forest, Water, Fire, and
Earth...
>>The only thing I can think of relating to Wind is Sun Tzu's "move like the
>>wind..steady as forests, pillaged like fire, unmovable like
mountin....." and
>>Void more as something more related to religious notions....
>
>Count me in. -Z-, did you accidentally mislabel the columns by any chance?

No, I confused the Book Of Five Rings with Eastern tradition. Also, "gold"
was not the fifth element, but a product of using the fifth element to
"elevate" dross to "nobility" and turn lead (or other "worthless" metals)
to gold. And I forgot all about metal being an element.

Western Eastern Five Rings
------- ------- ----------
FIRE FIRE FIRE
WATER WATER WATER
EARTH EARTH MOUNTAIN
AIR . WIND
. WOOD/FOREST .
. METAL .
QUINTESSENCE VOID

By the way, the Western alchemical tradition also had four attributes whose
combination determines the elements: cold, wet, hot and dry. Fire is hot
and dry, Water is cold and wet, Earth is cold and dry, Air is hot and wet.

In any case, if I were to adopt the aspect of AIR/WIND as my persona, I
think I'd opt to call myself "Sky"....

-Z-