Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:38:08 -0800

Neil Baumgardner asks,

>Here's another question/topic for everyone. If known, about what time
>did the MS in Zeta first enter service? In other words, which ones
>entered service in 0084, 0085, 0086, etc.
>
>I'm specifically thinking of mass produced types, like the
>RGM-79R/RGM-179 GM II, RMS-099 Rick Dias, RMS-106 HiZak, RMS-108
>Marasai, and MSA-003 Nemo.

  Actually, there's pretty good documentation on this in Entertainment
Bible 2 (written by the Shindosha staff, so even though it's third-party
speculation, it comes from some of the biggest Gundam experts in Japan).

  To start with, we have the formation of the Titans in December 0083,
accompanied by the rollout of the GM Quell. Next up is the Hizack, the
first mass-produced mobile suit with a linear seat; EB 2 claims that the
Hizack rolled out in July of 0084.

  The Hizack's cockpit is cruder than later models, with only a partial
all-around view; EB 2 states that the full panoramic display became
standard the following year. Based on this, the GM II - which has a
complete panoramic display, plus a higher power output than the Hizack -
is presumably of later vintage, probably circa 0085.

  EB 2 claims that the Gundam Mk. II project began in 0085, and that it
was tested for some six months before the Titans decided against mass
production. Since the prototypes were stolen in March 0087, they would
thus have been completed no later than September 0086.

  The Rick Dias seems to be pretty new as the series begins. After seeing
the Rick Dias in action, the Titans realize that it uses exotic new armor
materials (namely Gundarium Gamma), and commission Anaheim Electronics to
produce a Hizack upgrade using this material. What appear to be the first
Marasai units roll out in episode 9 (circa late April, 0087). Since this
is less than two months after the series starts, it's conceivable that
the Titans might have seen the Rick Dias in action beforehand.

-- Mark