joshua@egis.net
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:30:33 +0800

At 04:00 PM 11/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
>At 20:42 11/29/1999 +0800, you wrote:
> >I'm new to the gundam scene. I just saw Endless Waltz on VCD and my
> >curiousity has been thoroughly aroused. I was just wondering, why the
> >radical change ("custom" as Bandai puts it) in the look of four of the
> >gundams? Is there a reason within the story? Or was it just an artistic
> >whim?
>
>It was a change of audience.
>
>The Gundam Wing TV series was aimed at the kids, with bright primary colors
>and a line of toys, some with electronic sound effects. There were models,
>too, of course, but older fans were not really considered at first.
>
>The Gundam Wing OVA series, Endless Waltz, was targeted at an older
>audience, with more "realistic" somber colors and a line of models.
>
>-Z-
Hmmm...that makes sense. Somehow, I now prefer to collect the endless
waltz kits over the tv series sets. For a while, I thought the story
included some major overhauls of the machines. But that didn't seem to
jive with the fact that Endless Waltz started with a scene from the final
space battle in AC 195 showing the gundams with their new look. So that
really got me puzzled. Plus a couple of flashbacks within the 3 episodes
showed the new designs in the middle of the TV series story (that of Duo
Maxwell preparing to blow up Deathscythe while it was lying on its back,
and Trowa Barton assuming his identity after the real Trowa had just been
killed with Heavyarms in the background).
Overall, the new designs are great. I especially like Deathscythe which is
why I couldn't resist acquiring the limited edition coated 1/100 HG model
while it is still affordable here in Manila. I kinda agree with some
people who find the Wing Zero design with feathers a bit peculiar. But I'm
quite interested in the "special operations type" coated version of the
1/100 model. Thanks for the insight in the new look.

Joshua

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3