-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:27:36 -0800

At 00:51 11/29/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>> I can only buy this if you mean the RX-178+FXA-05D Super Gundam, not the
>> FXA-05D G-Defensor alone.
>
>Actually, the description of the FXA-05D includes the RX-178, but you are
>correct in that I should have noted this.

Are you sure about the FXA-05D including the RX-178?

Z Gundam was my introduction to the Gundam saga in 1986 and, in all this
time, this is the first time I've seen this assertion. Most of my early
references didn't even give a model number for the G-Defenser, but all of
them make a clear distinction between the G-Defenser, the Mk.II and the
Super Gundam.

Typically, G-Defenser combines with Gundam Mk.II two different ways. The
first is to simply clamp the Gundam Mk.II to the underside, in which
configuration the two are referred to as the G-Flyer. The second is dock
the G-Defenser to the Mk.II as a backpack weapon system (BWS) and separate
the Long Rifle for use as a sidearm, in which configuration the two are
referred to as the Super Gundam.

(I also seem to recall the Mk.II using the G-Defenser as a Sub-Flight Unit
(SFS) or flying sled, but a quick search of my reference books failed to
turn up any substantiating pictures.)

Gundam Mechanics III has separate plates for the RX-178 Gundam Mk.II and
FXA-05D G-Defenser, followed by a third plate for the RX-178+FXA-05D Super
Gundam.

This configuration is echoed in the LM312V04+SD-VB03A V-Dash Gundam, which
is a similar fusion of the LM312V04 V-Gundam with the SD-VB03A Dash
variable booster. Both hark back to the G-Armor of the original series.

-Z-