mirai y (eacmd@hotmail.com)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:36:05 EST

>As opposed to the OP for Gundam [Original series] do you mean? : ) [Tobe!
>Gundam] Which is not cheesy at all, how could you possibly say that... : )
>Seriously though, I can't think of a cheesier OP in anime than that one...
>[unless of course, you know different]

I recently bought the First Gundam videos and watched them for the first
time in almost 20 yrs. I have to admit I laughed hysterically through the
cheesy OP song! Didn't realize how bad it was at the time because most
anime OP songs were even more cheesy... if you can believe it.

And the Ending song... we used to make fun of how off-key that singer is.

Speaking of cheesy, has anyone heard the "Char" song on one of the albums?
(One where they keep saying "Char") People on the Japanese Gundam Newsgroup
was making fun of it a few months ago. It's even more cheesy than the OP
song.

Side note: On the opening credits, it listed 2 magazines that Gundam was
serialized in at the time. "Tanoshii Youchien" (literally, Fun Pre-school
for 3 to 5 yr. olds) and "Telebi Magajin" (for 5 to 8 yr. old boys, full of
cheesy Sentai shows and Kamen Raider type tokusatsu shows) Comic Bon Bon
that later Gundam shows were serialized in is extremely sophisticated
compared to the first two. It's interesting how sponsors of Gundam
expected a show for "little kids". I have 2 Gundam board books (you know,
the hard books so little kids can't rip the pages) from way back. It's
hysterical to look at the bad pictures and the even worse stories. ("Look at
Gundam! He's strong! He protects good children!" you get the idea)
They're so bad, they're now part of my Gundam book collection.

mirai