Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:33:43 +0800

>Many shows had been tested in the Philippines well before a US release.
>Chodenji Machine Voltes V - dubbed in English by Filipinos made it to the US
>as is in a christian broadcast network (Other Giant Robot shows made it to
>the US as well were shown here first in English). Macross was released and
>dubbed here first before the US turned it into Robotech with new dubbing.

This is no surprise, to tell the truth, since Filipino culture is a total
mix of Asian and Western cultures. A perfect testing ground.

>Recently - Ruroni Kenshin debuted here with the title Samurai X - but with
>surprisingly excellent dubbing. It was dubbed by the people in Columbia
>Pictures (whose parent is Sony) - and they did a damn good job of it. It was
>way later that I found out that the Philippines had been showing it first
>way before it made a release direct to tape in the US. Surprising, isn't it?
>(I dunno if they showed it on TV eventually though)

Well, they're also showing Slayers on local tv as well as one more Fantasy
thing which I forget the name of...they've also shown some other weird
stuff, like Captain Harlock.

>The Philippine market is a test for bigger gains in the US.
>But why G Gundam?
>G Gundam has been making strides in the local market and has had
>surprisingly good ratings - and excellent ones for its demographic - preteen
>boys.
>Their sales of their non-injection mecha have been excellent and has been
>flying of the shelves recently. It's selling better than Wing - at least
>from what I see when I go around the malls these days...

Well the 1/100 scale toys for G gundam are very nice, to tell the truth,
but the new Chinese production run seems a bit lacking in terms of
durability...the first run is quite fine...i have the God Gundam itself
from the first run...very nice.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter