Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:22:34 -0500

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:10:37 -0500 (EST) Chien Ting Chin <chinc@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca> wrote:

>That's it! Let the Wing Boys speak Shakespearean or Austenian English.
>Sure beats cussing. Don't understand why the British/American subbers and
>dubbers make the anime characters so foul-mouthed. Esp. considering
>Japanese are usually so polite.
>
>It's really a shame no one takes anime seriously enough to do some proper
>translation. After months of learning from the GML, I thought I'd finally
>learned all I can about 0079, now thanks to you Mirai, I realize ther's a
>level of 0079 that I haven't touched yet, and probably never can
>understand completely. :(
>
>CHIN, Chien Ting
>Dept of Medical Biophysics, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre
>... o O *
>Man is a bubble

You know, I'm really getting tired of everyone on here knocking so many of the subs and dubs out there. I'm sorry, but the many of the fansubs (at least those made by the better organizations) and just about everything by companies like ADV is translated by both a fluent speaker of Japanese (most times, a native of Japan) and a native speaker of English or whatever. And they almost always attempt to keep the translation as accurate as possible. You comment on all the cussing, and the Japanese being very polite. Well, have you ever considered that this is acting out a part? Not all characters in anime are Japanese ones, are they? And the world of anime is not always set in the real world is it? Try reading the credits at the end of each episode to see exactly who translated it, and you will usually find at least one Japanese and one Western name. So, unless you want to start fansubbing or dubbing anime, knock of knocking everyone else's hard work. At least they are making an ef!
fort to get additional titles more widely shown and understood. And many are doing extremely good jobs of it.

Roland

BTW, I realize this is my first post, and many of you might not appreciate a newcomer complaining about this, but after reading so many posts for the last 2 months (most with better debates than this), I finally had to post on something I feel strongly about. Besides, I didn't sign up until after many of the debates I was interested in ended.