Kaworu Nagisa (17thangel@tokyo-3.com)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:07:17 -0500

>Mirai Y wrote:
>> For example, Quatre's "Uchu no kokoro" line. I usually see this
>> translated as "heart of the universe" when the true meaning is "heart
>> of space", and
>
>Uchu sounds awfully like Cantonese (Chinese) for universe. Are you sure
>it's space not universe? Space in Cantonese is taihon, I think Japanese
>use the same kanji as well.

 "Uchuu" means space or universe. I'll recognize the kanji when I see it, but I don't think I know it enough to write it. I first encountered the word (in kanji) in SRW wherein a scenario is titled "Uchuu e"; which means "To space". In that scenario, the player side (Londo Bell), is about to depart into space... I also encountered that word in the SRW maintheme; "Oh hatenai 'uchuu' ni...", I've translated this line to: "Oh! In the endless universe..."

> Your comment on heart the organ vs. heart the
>soul is also interesting. Chinese also have different terms to distingish
>the two.

 "Kokoro" has many meanings, but those meanings are a lot closer to each other than the meanings of "heart".

-Veilchen