Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 02:01:57 -0800

Eiji Hayashi writes,

>it was the last part. Part 5 I believe, which I read.

  Hm... since Part 4 is in issue 51, I assume you're thinking of issue 52
(though this one doesn't seem to be labeled as part 5). Part 4 has that
fold-out chart of Z Plus types and specs, which as far as I can tell says
nothing about the number of D types produced. In issue 52, page 18 has a
little followup on the D type. At the bottom of this page, the D type is
described as having "first class" fighter capabilities - might you simply
have misread this line, or is there another page you have in mind?

>according to the bibles, the R2 is simply the personalized model of the R1A,
>which is, according to the bibles, a mass production MS. If there are any
>more changes it wasn't covered in it.

  The Entertainment Bibles don't provide any substantial info on the R-2
type Zaku. If you won't take my word for it, I suggest you consult the
MSV kit manuals, the Master Grade manual, the Gundam Weapons book on the
R type Zaku, Kodansha's old MSV publications, blah blah blah. The upshot
is that this model was intended for mass production, but passed over in
favor of the Rick Dom.

>and you must admit Mark, that going by the model number method is fairly
>irrefutable.

  Irrefutable in that I'm not going to be able to change your mind by
arguing about it. You have your system, I have mine, and hopefully we're
both happy. Obviously it's hopeless debating whether the Z Plus and Re-GZ
qualify as Gundams if we don't accept the same definitions, but at least
we know what those definitions are, eh?

>The Mark IIIs using the RX perfix may not apply with my system, but they
>would apply using your system (since they have the word "Gundam" in it. The
>one listed in the Bibles has the MSF prefix, not MSZ. I have no idea what
>the F in it stands for, maybe Federal Force.

  It stands for (mecha designer Kazumi) Fujita, just as the Type 100's
MSN prefix stands for (Mamoru) Nagano. Maybe there's a mecha designer out
there whose last name begins with "Z". ;-)

  Incidentally, the G Generation games have now established that the
Gundam Mark III is actually the ancestor of the Gundam Mark V seen in
Gundam Sentinel (the missing link, the Gundam Mark IV, appears in G
Generation Zero). So maybe we should factor it into the Gundam lineage, eh?

>The MSZ-007 mass production Zeta
>Gundam, MSZ-008 Zeta II (which BTW.. under your system wouldn't be
>considered a Gundam since it doesn't have the word "Gundam" in its name
>^_^),

  Exactly right. I note that this too is described as a design intended
for mass production, hence its greatly simplified transformation (which
greatly resembles the Methuss).

>so basically your definition doesn't consider a unit a Gundam even if the
>word "Gundam" is abbreviated or implied in its name ^_^, it has to be out in
>the open. Sorry Mark, that system seems just a bit too rigid to me in that
>sense.

  Well, otherwise we have to admit the possibility that the GM is a
Gundam. I had to draw the line somewhere! At any rate, the Re-GZ has a
stronger claim on this score than the Z Plus and the FAZZ, since its
acronym at least includes the word "Gundam".

>You're telling me if Hajime Katoki wasn't such a lazy ass and
>abbreviated his MS as FAZZ but spelled it out the long way as "Full Armor ZZ
>Gundam", you would consider it a Gundam.

  Exactly. But remember that the FAZZ is supposed to be a downgraded
mockup of the Full Armor ZZ Gundam - inferior armor, no transformation or
core block system, the hyper mega cannons are dummies - that was created
just to test options for the later mobile suit. In fact, according to the
chronology, the FAZZ was produced before the ZZ Gundam itself! (Half a
year before, according to the Gundam Wars Sentinel book.) Like the
Methuss, Type 100, and GunEZ, it's basically just a spinoff from the
development of a genuine Gundam.

-- Mark