Salamangka (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:42:36 +800

>> I agree with Richie - I have no problems letting my sons (7 and 13 yrs.
>old)
>> watch GW. They may "look" like terrorists in the beginning but their
>actual
>> personalities are quite different. Kids who are old enough to follow the

>> storyline will eventually figure that out.
> Yep, I agree with you.

I have to admit though...their actions are infinitely more understandable if
one watches the EW OVA's. The story of GW is definitely somewhere between byzantine
and ridiculous.

>> My 7 yr. old will probably like the "kewl robots" and the fighting (heck,

>he
> Yes, I think that's a boy thing(I figure it applies to some girls, too).
>remember being like that, and am still kind of that way, that's why I also

>build Gundam model kits and buy the toys. :)

One thing I miss from older cartoons though is that Noh-play-like aspect of
posing before doing an attack, and even shouting the name of the attack -- something
brought back in full force for the G Gundam series...it lends a bit of cheesiness
and glory to a fight scene. Lovely!

>> likes anything that has robots and fighting). My 13 yr. old will probably

>> like the story. Being a young kid exposed only to more recent animation,

>he
>> found First Gundam's story to be really good but didn't like the dated

>> animation (in his words, "these people look weird"). He's watched the raw

>> Japanese GW with me and really liked the animation. Since this is the

>> target age group for Toonami, I still think GW is the best choice out of

>the
>> Gundam series.

Yes, The animation quality would definitely be a bad thing for the first gundam
series...which makes me think that toonami should have some sort of "old cartoon"
block.

>> As for role models, I really don't expect normal 13 yr. olds to consider

>> anime characters to be "role models". Kids who do have more serious
>mental
>> problems...
>Very well said. Another person with some sense.

It's like the argument for the brouhaha over AD&D a few years back...so a couple
of kids won't get the message right, but the majority will know how it is.
"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919