Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:42:57 -0500

>On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, godfatherK wrote:
>> i've just completed the special coating version of ms006 zeta gundam...
>> and have the rx79gp02fb and rx78-2 special coating to be completed soon...
>
>I just finished constructing the RX78. Do the Zeta and GP02 have the same
>coating as RX78?
>
>> should i paint with a silver paint (using airbrush) the whole part to
>> cover the scarring?
>
>I think a small paint brush is a better choice in most cases. If you
>cover the whole part, that kinda wasted the extra 1000 Yens you pay for
>the coating version right? If you are careful brush painting the small
>scars is both fast and satisfactory. But if you want a perfect finish,
>you are better off buying the regular version, putty all the seams, polish
>with sand paper and then spray it silver, and then transparent red, blue
>and yellow as appropriate.
>
>> if so, exactly which silver (which company) do i use?
>
>I've tried only 2: Gunze Sangyo aqueous and Testor Enemal. The Testor is
>pretty good, but I've not yet tried air brushing the Testor silver. Gunze
>aqueous silver is junk. The silver grains are huge and the base is dark.
>So the Gunze silver, when dried, is darker than Testor and VERY grainy.
>
>On a related subject, I am also not happy with Gunze Gunmetal (H28), too
>grainy. Can anyone suggest an alternative? Testor Steel (enemal) is not
>dark enough and looks rusty. I haven't tried Tamiya, Hambolt or other
>brands.
>
>> what else can i do other than carefully taking the parts off using
>> cutters to prevent and then cover such scarring?

well if you use cutters you should cut far away from the piece followed by
scraping w/ a hobby knife/boxcutter/razor blade(I prefer)/surgical knife.

as for the gunmetal question, try the Tamiya gunmetal but that is also very
dark, there is also Model Master II "metalizer" line they are laquers though
but it seems to me like they are very metallic but keep in mind laquers if
sniffed to much cause Brain Damage and melts plastic somewhat. If you really
want you can try to do it your self, try a mixture of steel or silver w/ gray,
black and white, until you have your desired color, (preferably Testors).

- Roger