Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:56:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Kaworu Nagisa wrote:
> How would I know if a kit is made in China or made in Japan? Does it
> say on the box? From afar, the boxes don't really make much of a
> difference. By the way, those kits sold in SM Toyland, are they made
> in Japan or made in China? How about those in Special Toys Center?

To be precise, you should ask if a kit is a bootleg or an authentic. A
major bootlegger goes by the name BEN DI (arranged in a red diamond like
the BAN DAI logo). But there are other bootleggers (luckily less
frequently seen) which make outright counterfeits without the telltale Ben
Di logo. For those you can (usually) detect them by the lower quality
printing and paper quality of the box.

I think most of the authentic Bandai kits (like most other "Japanese" and
"American" products) are made in China anyway, labor costs being so much
cheaper outside of Japan. This explains why new kits sometimes show up in
Hong Kong a few days before they show up in Japan. Also makes lives
easier for bootleggers.

The prices of bootleg kits are only marginally cheaper than the authentic
kits, so really I don't understand why the customers are buying them. (I
think the original price is very good value already) Pokemon trinkets, on
the other hand, are where the bootleggers thrives. Pokemon bashers will
be happy to hear that most of the trinkets (many can be seen in Toronto)
are bootleg or counterfeits.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble