Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 15:07:54 +1300

Su, Rodrick wrote:

> [...]

The original question that started this post is regarding Gato's proficiency
with the GP02's beam sabre. I forget who asked the original question but the
person doubts Gato piloting any MS between 0079 to 0083 equipped with a beam
sabre type weapon.

If the Gelgoog was selected for production before Gato started testing them then
I agree it is unlikely that he would have tested the Gan. It is perfectly
plausible though that during the three year waiting period he continued to pilot
MS to keep his skills up. Suggesting the use of MS which survived the war and as
well as any that was able to be salvaged and made operational eg Zakus,
Gelgoogs, Rick Doms I, II, GMs.

In 0083, Gato obviously knew exactly what he was going to steal, so any self
respecting military pilot in an operation of this type and magnitude would have
thoroughly researched the MS and be fully prepared to pilot it. Meaning he
probably familiarised himself as best as he could with Federation MS controls
and weaponry beforehand.

Delaz had a custom Rick Dom on board his ship and during a past discussion about
this Dom, someone quipped that Delaz was so protective of his MS that he came
down to the hangar area from the bridge personally, amidst the final battle of
A-Bao-A-Qu, to prevent Gato from taking it into battle. For an operation as big
as Stardust, I am sure even Delaz would have let Gato practice with the Dom's
heat sword. <grin>. They certainly couldn't leave to chance the possiblity that
Gato could not pilot the Gp02 or be able to use its weapons well enough.

I take it that what you said about Gato's MS experience will probably apply to
the Gaia,Ortega, Mash and Ranba Ral. I know for certain that the Black Trinary
did not have prior experience with the Dom before their first sortie against the
White Base but they seemed to have no problems piloting the Dom or using the
heat sword. Same probably applies with Ranba Ral with the Gouf and its heat rod
and sword. Not to mention the fact that they were new to ground combat as well
(the same probably applies to Gato in 0083).

Which leads me to believe that once you become a proficient pilot, piloting
different MS is about as hard as driving a different car/motorcycle and not like
piloting different aircraft (i.e no need to be type rated). The basic
controls/features are probably standard across Zeon MS, and any differences
between the controls between Zeon and Federation MS probably disappeared later
on when Anaheim Electronics started supplying all the MS. And as with cars,
using new features is probably as easy as pushing a couple of buttons.

I think it was SJ that mentioned Amuro using the beam sabre in his first
confrontation with the Zakus. He just flicked a switch, and drawing the beam
sabre from the holder is probably an automated process. Amuro certainly didn't
have any problems slicing a Zaku in half or piercing the cockpit with pinpoint
accuracy.

Tet