Flamehed01@aol.com
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:58:49 EST

In a message dated 11/5/99 3:13:46 PM, Ben.Mack@jwt.com writes:

<< We are looking ofr ways to introduce Gundam to teens and try to build a
mass
following there.

We are open to ideas and I'm especially interested in personal stories of how
you got started in Gundam. >>

   I'm probably the youngest on the list, and I barely contribute to the
whole ML. At 13, and living in Michigan, you'd think I wouldn't even know
what Gundam is. But, if you want teens to get in to Gundam, ask a teen their
opinion! Here's the story:

Back in 1997, my family and I travelled to California for summer vacation,
and stayed at a relatives house. One day, I was so bored in their house, that
I decided to look around my cousin's room, to find entertainment of any kind.
Once I walked in, I was amazed by dozens of posters and wallscrolls of
cool-looking "robots". It said "Mobile Suit Gundam" on the coolest poster.
"What's Mobile Suit Gundam?" I asked myself. As I continued to search, on his
desk stood an awesome "toy". Not knowing what it was, i played around with
it, when the loose arm fell off! I quickly put it back together, and found a
box labelled "XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam". And thought, "I gotta find out what
this "Gundam" thing is. So I searched the web looking up as much as I could.
I was amazed at all the detail, and complex story. So, the next day, at a
Japanese grocery store, I looked for Gundam models. There, I bought my first
kit ever, Gundam X, and Wing Zero! Sure, these kit's are low in quality, and
suck, but I was so impressed, i was hooked!

I started ordering more models, a few LD's, fansubs, and now the domestic
release accomplished by Animevillage, and am now obsessed. That's my story. I
got into Gundam because of the mecha. It looked flashy, hi-tech, and just
plain awesome.

With Gundam coming to Toonami, I feel that it will be sucessful, since most
teens are starting to get into Anime. I know that my middle school,
Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon are watched by most everyone, but I think that
Anime should frist get passed the "for kid's only" and the "cartoon" genre
that alot of American teens think it is, before a BIG sucess is had.

Well, that's about it for me, but I can answer any more questions you might
have for me Ben.