Michael Y H Ip (reika@clear.net.nz)
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 08:36:32 +1300

Tomonaga wrote:

> Char's mask isn't a disguise or a fashion statement. It symbolises his adopted
> persona, and all the reasons for adopting this persona
> .
> He has taken the name of Char Aznable in order to avenge his father's death and
> in his mind the mask separates his true self from Char Aznable.
>
> On the surface Char Aznable, ace pilot and a brilliant military officer must
> appear to be a loyal dedicated Zeon, in order to win the trust/respect of the
> Zavi hierarchy. All in contrary to Casval's true feelings towards the Zabis and
> their regime. Casval cannot/will not join the Zeon forces using his/family name,
> to follow the orders of the people who orchestrated the death of his father. And
> he cannot join the Earth Federation whom his father opposed and at the same time
> fight against his own people. Thus he must use the Char persona to put himself
> in a position in the Zeon forces to orchestrate and observe the demise of the
> Zabi regime. The mask symbolises the sacrifices he has made and the goal
> itself.

I didn't know which part of the message I should
snip, so I left all of it, however I do not feel
so guilty now that my part of the message is
rather substantial :)

Now, I have asked this question before, and I
received and answer, which I thought was
reasonable, but I present it again. Why does
Casval retain the name Char Aznable in CCA?

The last answer was that people are more likely to
recognise this person as Char, the Red Comet, the
great Gion ace of the OYW, than his real name,
Casval Rem Daikun. However he made it clear in
the Dakar speech that Quattro = Char = Casval
(Dafydd, the Dakar speech is on one of the disks I
sent you). A recent post made by Dafydd
highlighted the fact that people may not
necessarily realise Char is the Red Comet, and he
made an example of the Red Baron (and I still
don't know his name).

Aside from that, by CCA, Casval has no more use
for the name Char Aznable. If I were to be in
Casval's boots, using the name Char would only
conjure memories when I was under the command of
the Zavi's who I despised so much (except Mineva -
I just love kids), and surely if I were to carry
out what I thought was my father's plan, I would
return to using the Daikun name. Thoughts anyone?

This I find one of the more extraordinary
inconsistencies in UC Gundam, or is it simply
Tomino and Bandai simplifying things for the
audience?

--
      Big bore exhausts are for V8 wannabes