Chaos025@aol.com
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 01:28:46 EST

In a message dated 11/4/99 4:32:45 PM Mountain Standard Time,
Enigma298@aol.com writes:

> Speaking of which....I don't remember any grunt Zeon MS in 0079 using beam
> sabres. The Zaku used the heat hawk and the Dom a heat rod, so how come
> Anavel Gato was so good at using the GP02's beam sabre ? The techniques of
> using these weapons seem to be considerably different.
>
> Unless he had experience in a beam sabre equipped unit any time between
0079

> and 0083, I find it a little hard to believe.

Well, for one thing, it seems to be the case that all movements a Mobile Suit
makes are really macros activated by the pilot. We see this in the very first
episode of Gundam, when Amuro selects a beam saber to use in combat. Amuro
hit a key, the graphic on his screen displayed his beam saber being deployed,
and the Gundam actually draws the saber and attacks with it.

It has been hypothesized that the Gundam Project MS's where built around Zeon
styled cockpits.

Gato would be very familiar with the cockpit layout, and his experience as a
combat pilot should have played heavily in his piloting of the GP02a, and in
his close combat actions against the GP01. Gato would know how to deploy the
GP02a's close combat weaponry, and Gundam itself would know how to handle
said beam saber. All Gato would have needed to do was aim at a target and
direct the MS's movements.

SJ