Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:26:16 -0500

>Very interesting. This is a perfect skill package for RPG like Mekton.
>
>Mark Simmons wrote:
>>
>> Amid all the back-and-forth about Char versus Gato versus whomever, I'm
>> reminded of a feature I wrote a few years back for the never-published
>> second issue of the Gundam fanzine Julie and I were working on. Here's a
>> super-digest version...
>>
>> In essence, I broke down the ranks of Gundam ace pilots into four
>> categories. The premise was that any experienced pilot can kill off
>> plebes with little effort, but their tactics for battling other veterans
>> were quite distinct. Here are the primary types, each with a cutesy name:
>>
>> * Steamrollers are aggressive types who favor in-your-face frontal
>> assaults, raining blows on their enemy to keep them off-balance.
>> Experienced pilots can almost always dodge a frontal attack, but if you
>> keep pressing the attack, sooner or later they might slip up and take a
>> hit. Char, for all his acrobatics, basically sticks to this tactic; ZZ's
>> Rakan Dakaran, overall a mediocre pilot, gets a lot of mileage out of it.
>>
>> * Bushwackers are cunning, devious pilots who eschew easy-to-evade
>> frontal attacks in favor of taking potshots from the rear or other blind
>> spots. When engaged in a duel, they try to wriggle out of it and drop out
>> of the enemy's field of view so that they can come in from another
>> direction and catch the foe off-guard. Frequently, bushwackers will
>> sacrifice spare weapons as decoys, distracting the enemy so that they can
>> ambush them from behind. Amuro Ray and Anavel Gato are masters of this
>> technique.
>>
>> * Blitzers or snipers are similar to bushwackers, but lack the skill to
>> escape a duel. Instead, they hide behind asteroids and colonies, popping
>> up to take potshots at their targets, and try to avoid close combat and
>> running battles at all costs. Camille Vidan, a textbook example,
>> frequently has to be rescued by his sidekicks when he gets stuck in a
>> duel and can't get away to launch surprise sniper attacks.
>>
>> * Pluggers - for want of a better term - are defensive players, who
>> manage to stay calm and collected even under continuing attacks from
>> bushwackers or steamrollers. By continually dodging and deflecting enemy
>> attacks, they can tie up otherwise dangerous foes in time-wasting
>> sparring matches, and may even be able to sneak in the occasional
>> counterattack. This tactic is typically the province of secondary
>> characters like Emma Sheen and Marbet Fingerhut, but V Gundam hero Usso
>> Ebbing also fits the profile.
>>
>> So that's my analysis, take it or leave it. As for the specific scenarios
>> we've been discussing of late...
>>
>> Gato, clearly, is a sneaky bastard just like Amuro. He uses spare
>> weapons as decoys, and loves to somersault over his enemy so he can
>> attack 'em from behind. As Amuro proves over and over again, these
>> tactics are very effective against Char - the Red Comet is prone to
> [...]
But even with different styles and techniques I believe that Char still has an
unfair advantage due to his NewType abilities. Although Char is one of those
pilots that favor speed he is definitely more cunning, If this was a dance
Char would definitely be leading. As you people said before Gato was off
testing the Gelgoog at the Battle of Solomon but Char was and always chose to
be a frontline Grunt, well, it seems like it to me at least.

But on the other hand Gato has the advantage in the sneaky department.He would
be able to pop a few caps while Char was looking for him in space debris, but
he really lacks the ability to run away from Char in my opinion.

- Roger