Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:30:34 -0500

Lim Jyue wrote:

> At 14:36 10/31/1999 -0800, you wrote:
> > The 880mm bazooka rounds cited for the Dom Tropen's "raketen bazooka"
> >in 0083 were subsequently rationalized in the MG Dom kit manual. While
> >the regular "giant bazooka" shells are 360mm in diameter, the raketen
> >bazooka fires rockets, which are described in terms of length; e.g. these
> >shells are 880mm _long_.
>
> Thanks Mark, I was getting awfully confused here.. 880mm diameter
> bazookas will probably blow a battleship up, no matter where it lands. =)
>
> Just for the record -- whenever we talk about calibers, we *are*
> talking about the diameter and not the length, correct?

    Oh boy, you just opened up a can of worms. It can mean two different
things. In
    small arms, caliber is the diameter of the round (bullet) - such as
7.62mm.
    However, for cannons for some reason it is used to describe the length of
the
    cannon barrel (not the round) such as a 55 caliber 120mm gun. In that
case, I
    believe a caliber is how long the barrel is times the diameter of the
round. So for
    55 caliber 120mm, that would be 55 times 120mm is the length of the
barrel.
    Dont think this ever really comes up in Gundam, but FYI for the real
world.

    Sorry if I just confused everyone.

    Neil Baumgardner