Phil_Abramowitz (Phil_Abramowitz@email.msn.com)
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 12:16:49 -0800

I just got back from Bandai's Gundam Wing modelling event at the Santa
Monica Toys R Us. I'm a little underwhelmed with what I saw there. What
they had was a TV showing the same Gundam Wing modelling video that they
been showing before in Toys R Us composed of clips from Gundam Wing mixed
with model building clips. The clips did not feature any spoken dialog,
which was a little dissapointing as I wanted a chance to hear how the
dubbing sounded.

There was also a table featuring two Gundam Wing staffers building models.
The models that were being built weren't that extravagant - they were just
snapped together with the decals applied, and a marker used to apply some
simple panel line details. I shouldn't have expected Hooby Japan level of
quality since the point of the exhibit was to show how easy it was for a kid
to build a model. It was dissapointing to see that there weren't many kids
interested in what was going on when I was there (around 10:30). The video
might have been drawn some kids in, but I don't know how exciting it is to
watch two adults building model kits. The only other spectator who seemed
really interested in what was going on turned out to be another Gundam ML
member whose name esacpes me.

Most of the staff there were wearing a really nice Gundam Wing Polo shirt,
but regretablly they didn't have any of these for sale. Most of the people
I talked to were members of the Advertising Agency Bandai hired to promote
Gundam Wing, and as such they weren't real knowledgeable about the plans for
Gundam Wing (let alone other Gundam series). There was one guy who might
have been a Bandai or Anime Village rep, but I didn't get a chance to talk
to him.

In any case, those of you who couldn't make it didn't miss much. I ended up
buying a kit (1/144 Epyon) but it didn't look like much else was going on.
I build better kits than the experts that they had there. I left a little
puzzled, wondering why Bandai is trying to push the show this early, long
before it will air in the Spring.

Phil