Jill Christensen (jill_christensen@mcad.edu)
30 Oct 1999 19:33:42 -0500

>From: gundam@aeug.org on Sat, Oct 30, 1999 9:15 AM
>Subject: Re: [gundam] bishounen or effeminate? Re:Gundam W in US
>To: gundam@aeug.org

>>All 5 GW boys are considered bishonen along with all the Weiss Kreuz guys
>>(although they may be closer to biseinen)
>>Zechs, Char, and Treize is more in the biseinen category because of their
>>age.

Nope, none of the above qualify as bi-anything. They are handsome, but they are also manly. Bishonen don't come across as manly.

> Um, I understand that a character has to be in his youth
>to be considered a bishounen. Is there any particular age
>bracket for this? Wasn't Zechs only 19 yrs. old? By the way, is there any term
>that refers to bishonen, bishojo, and biseinen in general? You know,
>"beautiful people"?

Bishonen are distinctively, gracefully beautiful in a feminine way. For example, Larva from Vampire Miyu posesses feminine beauty--especially in the manga where he's more beautiful than other female characters. Simply being cute or even handsome doesn't cut it as bishonen. Another bishonen giveaway is the rose. Pokemon's James/Kojiro is a parody of a bishonen.
Heroic Legend of Arislan is another source of bishonen: every single youthful male character including the princess-er um, prince Arislan himself.

>>For that bishonen look, there has to be that certain "something" in the
>>character design. I think the facial design and movement is more fine and
>>intricate.

Femininity and usually elegantly feminine, not cute-feminine.

> It's really hard to tell. All I know is that the word
>"bishounen" refers to handsome young people, particularly
>guys. Thus, it was adapted to pretty boys and/or cool guys in anime and
>manga...

Bishonen are always cool in my anime watching experience, but cool character are rarely bishonen.

>>Other Gundam characters that were popular with girls:
>>Amuro - not exactly bishonen, more of a "cute" kid
>>Garma - was considered bishonen back in those days
>
> How about Camille Vidan? Garod Ran?

Amuro and Camille are nothing like bishonen. They're just shonen. The closest thing I've seen Yaz produce to a bishonen is his Paptimus Scrirocco/Apollon/villain-from-Venus-Wars-part-2 character. And they're still not quite it.

>>As an aside, Amuro's character design was supposed to be quite innovative
>>and different for an anime character at that time. (intricate lines, pointy
>>chin, thin neck) He strongly influenced the design of later main characters
>>such as Ichijo Hikaru from Macross and Ikari Shinji from Evangelion.
>
> Oh I see... come to think of it, Amuro kinda looked quite
>different from the other lead characters during his time.
>

>>I love
>>Yasuhiko Yoshikazu's character designs. I think he really creates
>>characters that are attractive to women. (Besides, he went to the same
>>university my parents graduated from...)
>
> Yasuhiko Yoshikazu? I don't think I've heard of him. Can
>you mention some of his works? By the way, would you happen to have an idea of
>how much work a manga artist is loaded during a project? Also, is the manga
>business open to non-Japanese artists? Thanks ^_^
>
>-Veilchen

Yasuhiko Yoshikazu (aka Yaz), is the chara designer for Mobile Suit Gundam (0079), Zeta Gundam, Gundam F-91 and is the manga writer/artist who created Arion, Rebel Sword (aka Star of the Kurds), the Venus Wars and several other projects. Arion and Venus Wars were made into movies which I believe he directed himself.

--Jill