Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:45:47 -0700

Vince Leon asks,

>What is the fascination with all of these stupid acronyms. Why can't Gundam
>just stand for Gundam.

  It _does_ just stand for Gundam. For some reason - probably because
it's one of the few things in the Japanese model mags and reference books
that they can read - Western fans like to seize onto these bogus acronyms
and tout them as authentic fact. Thus, we've had years and years of fans
writing GUNDAM and Mobile SUIT in all caps because they're convinced that
they're really supposed to be acronyms.

  Thus, my digression on the latest round of reverse-engineered nonsense
from the Alex kit manual. It's my fond hope that, by pointing out how
stupid these are, we can dissuade people from taking them seriously. :-)

-- Mobile Auxiliary Reinforcement Knee-joint