Harezu_no Ninngyo (mirage_left4@hotmail.com)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:00:34 PDT

>From: Mark Simmons <scorpio@best.com>

> These seem to break down into two categories - captured enemy units
>(the Zakus and Gelgoogs seen in 0083, the various MSVs that defend Jaburo
>in Z Gundam) and Zeon designs that the Federation actually produces on
>its own assembly lines. The latter tend to get new model numbers to
>reflect their Federation-produced status, e.g. the RMS-117 Galbaldy Beta
>and the RMS-192M Zaku Mariner, both of which were redesigned for Federal
>Forces use. Presumably these went out of production when the Federation's
>own mobile suit technology caught up.

just the fact that they went out of their way to improve on an existing Jion
MS design indicates that they don't have a problem with Jion MS looks.

> Which still doesn't explain the Hizack, which is inferior specs-wise to
>the GM II...

while I will agree that the Hizack seem to inferior in the performance
department, they are better equiped than the GM IIs.. which has nothing but
vulcans (which don't do dick), very underpowered beam rifle (1.3 MW I
believe.. same as a funnel), and a beam sabre.

> Well, the Zaku FZ really has no place in Gundam continuity. After the
>Dom and Rick Dom showed up, the Zeons stopped manufacturing Zakus
>altogether; the notion that they'd go back, redesign the Zaku from the
>ground up, and switch their assembly lines _back_ to making Zakus again
>is pretty ludicrous. Really, the FZ is just what the regular Zaku looks
>like in the 0080 videos; claiming that it's actually a variant in its own
>right is a polite fiction to excuse the artistic license. ;-)

actually Mark, the FZs are substantially different than the standard F or S
series. For one thing, they have almost twice the thruster output as well as
three times more maneuverable with a ludicrous 19 apogee motors. They don't
start making MS with that many veniers until ZZ. Further, they're made of
Titanium Ceramic Alloy as oppose to the standard Zaku's Reinforced Steel.
But then, there was always the technology continuity issue with 0080, all
their MS are out of whack. Take my fav, the MS-14JG Gelgoog Jager. A MS with
over 280 (as oppose to 80 of a regular Gelgoog) tons of thrust and an
unprecedented 24 apogee motors! You'll have to wait until CCA to find a mass
produced MS that fast or maneuverable.

> Yep, they're pretty huge... they probably represent the peak of the
>big-mobile-suit trend, before the downsizing fad kicked in.

its funny you mention the word "downsizing" :P.. as the later suits shrank
by over 33% in size.

> Well, the Psyco Gundam Mk. I is 380-odd tons. But these are officially
>mobile armors. The Quin Mantha, at 39.2 meters and 264.7 tons, is the
>biggest mobile suit. The Zeong (231.9 tons) is number 2, and the Zock
>(229.0 tons) is in third place. Then come the S Gundam Booster Unit
>Version, the Juagg, the Agguguy, the Ex-S Gundam, and so forth...

Sorry.. my mistake. I forgot. The Psycho Gundam Mk 1 is the heaviest MS of
all time, not II. II was significantly lighter (probably due to the use of
lighter armor). I remember 2 cause 2 had the most weapons on a MS that I
know of.. 20 Megabeam cannons and 3 megascattering cannons.