mirai y (eacmd@hotmail.com)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:47:15 EDT

>From: "Kaworu Nagisa" <17thangel@tokyo-3.com>
> As for shounen/shoujo, G Gundam also has it's fair share of these
>elements. All in all, it's like a shounen-mecha
>show, since the martial arts and "guys rulz" stuff prcatically dominate the
>series. And then we have the
>bishonen George, Nobel Gundam, and Domon-Rain romantic
>story to represent shoujo. GW's not at all shoujo if
>you ask me. What makes it seem shoujo is the 1)character
>designs, and 2) most of it's fans are shoujo-yaoi fans.
>Aside from these, I don't really see anything shojo about
>the story at all. It's just a series with a complex political issues,
>bishounen, cute girls, and fancy
>hero-mecha designs. That's how I see it.
>
>Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)

According to an interview with the director of GW, it was planned from the
onset to appeal to women. To transplant Saint Seiya/ Samurai Trooper
"bishonen gundan" concept to Gundam, and was even targeted toward a yaoi
audience. (Women like to see pretty boys in angst, you know)

On the other hand, GG was planned to be a series to appeal to children.
Both were planned to bring a new audience to the Gundam franchise, and I
would say each succeeded in its own way. (George may seem to be a
"bishounen" from a male point of view, but I haven't come across any women
who would consider him as such. He just looks effeminate, not bishounen)

mirai y