garrick lee (kapshiaw@yahoo.com)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:30:53 -0700 (PDT)

*blink*

damn, z, you just short circuited my neurons.

i'm not sure i understood all that...and here are a
few stupid questions to prove it.

1) isn't it all as simple as ---> if an object
possesses enough power to fly/hover in atmosphere, it
possesses enough strength to get out of orbit and out
into space (and anywhere in space, given enough fuel)?
 after all, if you're closer to earth, the gravity is
stronger. if you can defy that much gravity, why can
you not escape earth's weakened gravity a few
kilometers above the atmosphere? if you're past the
equal-gravity portion, can't you just ride on the next
gravity pull that's pulling you in? (ok, something
tells me it's not as simple as that...but what am i
thinking wrong?)

and a gundam can hover right? (how about a macross
valkyrie? and what is macross doing wrong? from what
i read, something tells me that macross violates a few
astrophysics laws, i don't know what...)

2) you're telling me that virtually any volume of
space in space is within gravitational pull of one
planet/asteroid/star or another? i'm trying to grasp
that...(which probably explains why i'll never be an
astronaut, heh). is there no region in space that is
absolutely free of gravitational attraction of one
body or another? (i.e. gravitational pull is THAT
strong???) that's not lagrange...but is/would it be
equal to lagrange, for all purposes?

3) what the hell is a spacesuit for? aside from
providing an enclosed oxygenated environment that's
not freezing... what do spacesuits do to help
"withstand the rigors of outer space" (as i seem to
read very often)? what does a spacesuit/flightsuit do
to help against g forces? (what are they made of, for
that matter?)

4) that reentry stuff...it's atmospheric friction that
causes the burn, right? what if the angle of entry is
so shallow (say, 1 degree)...would that eliminate
reentry problems? (y'know, kinda float around for a
while, before dropping like a rock?)

or is an object that's in "reentry" definitely,
irrevocably caught in the earth's gravity? therefore,
angle of attack doesn't matter, because earth's
gravity will pull you through the atmosphere faster
than you want to and you WILL drop like a rock ANYWAY
(and burn up real quick)?

what about slingshot maneuvers? they utilize the
planet/star's gravity, but aren't caught in
reentry...?

eh...i think i'll stop asking questions now. i'm
feeling dumber by the minute.

-garrick
damn glad to be on solid ground, where there's less
physics involved :)

=====