Jill Christensen (jill_christensen@mcad.edu)
26 Oct 1999 21:17:56 -0500

Perhaps you could explain for me what it is about Zeta charas that strikes you as shoujo-ish? I can't simply be that the male characters are designed to look attractive (to girls). Central characters are usually meant to look appealing to the audiance. I can't comment on Orange Road as a comparison--I've only seen about two tv eps and none of the manga. But as far as early to mid 80's mecha anime goes (Voltron, Macross, Megazone 23, Aura Battler Dunbine, Go Shogun, or Bismark), I've never gotten the sense of those shows having more than a token appeal to girls. Of course this could just come down to having an American pov. As a woman watching ZG, of course of love Char ^_^, but the fact of having so many female pilots is what would get my attention--assuming I was familiar with anime's tradition of femme warriors.
--Jill