Matt Hanyok (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:53:52 -0400

> The kits are located on the same shelves where you find other model kits,
> with the stickers clearly designating them as model kits. Seeing how the
> packaging is different from the blister packs used by most action figures,
> you'd have to be the kind of moron that puts a cup of boiling hot
McDonald's
> coffee between your legs to think you're getting a no-assembly required
> action figure.

say hello to a good portion of the american populace. ;-) a good point
though. not everyone out there is that dumb, but it only takes a few dumb
people to stir up trouble.

> Enter third party licensees, who make crap action figures like the Dragon
> Ball ones you've seen here...

I have to agree with that.

> If these hobby stores are what I think they are, having Gundam Wing on
> Cartoon Network and having domestic distribution for these kits won't
> change their attitude. These kits aren't miniatures of WWII crafts or
> anything from real life, if they wouldn't carry it as imports, having the
> kits being distributed domestically doesn't make things any different to
> them. They'll just go "Man, our customers want the Nazi panzers, no one
> wants these prime-colored toys from a cartoon show." After all, you don't
> see these all-serious stores rushing to carry Pokemon items, regardless of
> how much money it can make for them.

well, most of the hobby stores I've been too have a tendency to carry all
sorts of models, imports of giant robots included. These are the same stores
that have section devoted to RPGs and tabletop war games like Battletech or
Warhammer 40000. Kinda like "Another Universe" stores but without all the
extra non-hobby stuff.

Matt "chicks are cool" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/
"Okay, but I'm going to need 10 full kegs, a continuous loop tape of 'Louie,
Louie' and a regulation two-story panty raid ladder." - Bender, Futurama