Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:07:03 +1300

reika wrote:

> Well I was wondering where you got some of this
> information from, so I decided to flip thru my MS
> Encyclopaedia, and there is a little bit written
> about the ReGZ which I decided to get Translingo
> to translate for me...here what it translates into
> (excuse grammatical errors)...if anyone would like
> the original Japanese text, email me and I will
> send to you.
>
> translation start --
> Experimental Mobile Suits which Anaheim company
> developed. The name of this machine is an
> abbreviation name of "Refinement Gundam Zeta", and
> the airframe made for trial purposes for the mass
> production of the MSZ-006Z Gundam. Therefore,
> Back Weapon System which can do the transformation
> mechanism which is excelled, omitted, and is added
> and equipped with the module mainly composed of
> the transformation has been adopted. As a result,
> productivity rose, and the weakness of the
> airframe was able to be cancelled. This system is
> liked to the concept of FXA-05D. [It] arrived
> until the latest technology's being turned on, and
> equalling MSZ-006 on the spec. *** [It] thinks and
> the performance which not is is demonstrated with
> the mass production machine like the movement and
> the *long range barrier?* cruise ability and
> <length> thermal power, etc. in the MA form
> especially. The hoop manufacturing cost was still
> expensive (MSZ-006 was higher), the mass
> production plan was interrupted, only one
> experimental machine was sent to Lar Kairam of the
> Londo Bell Corps, and [it] attached to the actual
> combat disposition. [It] took the place of the
> Lieutenant Kayla/Keira Suu though the pilot was
> Captain Aumro Rei.
> translation end--
>
> the main points:
> 1) the ReGZ has a different(weaker)
> airframe/fuselage(?) and hence the removal of the
> transformation mechanism
> 2) the Back Weapon System allows a transformation
> and also 'strengthens' the airframe
> 3) Back Weapon System is linked to the G-Defensor
> (FXA-05D)
> 4) cost:perf is improvement on ZG, but still too
> expensive for mass production. Note the *long
> range barrier* was my guess at translating to
> characters since Translingo couldn't do it.
> 5) it's official, there was only *one* ReGZ
>
> I'm not so sure about your first comment about not
> being able to transform back into the MA mode, but
> that really bites if it is true. I might have to
> get the Bandai ReGZ kit which I am sure will have
> more information than the MS Encyclopaedia.

The translation is a bit rough but it's pretty much correct. But for your
information here is my contribution to clarify things...

In Gundam speak 'ki-tai' refers to the whole machine itself (usually MS or MA) not
airframe.
The RGZ-91 does technically transform to a very limited extent but not in the way
the Z Gundam transforms i.e the transformation system in the ReGZ itself was
simplified and the transformation involves a separate external attachment , the
Back Weapon System. As you can imagine a transforming MS is much more complicated
in design and build then a standard MS, and one of the downsides to the Z Gundam
is that because of the transform ability its body has certain weaknesses making it
more vulnerable to enemy attacks than a non-transforming MS. By removing most of
the transformation ability from the MS itself, not only made it easier to produce
but also eliminated the inherent weaknesses of the Z Gundam design. In the
'tranformed' MA form, its performance abilities are more a kin to
experimental/special prototypes than that of mass produced machines.(Note:The ReGZ
easily outperforms Z Gundam. Also Note:*It's simply long range cruise ability. *)

Despite the modifications the ReGZ was still too costly to produce (albeit much
less than Z Gundam), and the production plan was cancelled. Only the one
experimental machine was put into active service with the Londo Bell aboard the
Lar Kairam.

Tet