Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:59:53 PDT

>Injection kits are made from plastic. Resin is as a material that is as to
>easy to work with as plastic - you can cut it with a Xacto knife..
>However,
>resin kits require much more skill and work to build. Resin kits are
>molded
>in one color - white for good quality kits while some use a yellower resin.
>Building resin kits is much more difficult - you will need to use
>superglue.
>Also, for kits with mobility that use polycaps (such as robots), you
>typically have to drill out the holes in the kit where the polycaps need to
>be placed and then glue them in.

You will have to "pin" parts in place, too...delicate detail parts that
might easily break need to be drilled and reinforced with metal
the size of paperclips and superglued.

>If you can't glue and can't paint then don't buy resing kits.
>
>Resin kits also have a low production run and are rarely reprinted. If you
>see a resin kit you like, grab it! Many of the resin kits listed at HLJ
>are
>actually out of stock, for example.

Too true! Don't learn the hard way *like me!*

>On the plus side, resing kits are designed by people who care about the
>design - and thus the kits are usually much more accurate looking. I'm
>building a pair of resin Star Trek kits right now (Enterprise-A and
>Defiant)
>because the regular kits are so horrible.
>
>Phil

The detail is usually better, but there can be a downside: air bubbles
can get trapped in the casting procces, showing up on the final product that
can lead to filling these gaps with super glue or filler.
Casting lines also show up in the kits; this is usually when a piece
has a line running through it where one half is slightly higher than
the other. There is also warping, in which a piece is mis-shapen from
the casting process. All in all, it can add up to a lot more work than
\a plastic kit.

Mark Kai