Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:49:24 +0800

>that is exactly the approach i used (with a touch of
>heavyarms, heh) about a few months ago (same topic
>different people. the guy who sprouted the
>"it's-porn-coz-japanese-like-underwear" logic is a new
>guy who wasn't around the last time i ranted). i was
>fairly successful in shutting them up and getting them
>to admit that the reason why they dislike anime is
>simply because of the animation style, appearance (big
>eyes, small mouth), and even storyline and style of
>storytelling. when i needled them to list all the
>anime they've watched that they claim to prove anime
>is sexist porn, they couldn't come up with any.
>i'm just a bit exasperated to wind up another full
>blown rant (rearming heavyarms) at my fellow rpg
>gamers. some of them are too busy staring at
>chainmail bikinis. :P
>-garrick

We've been using an RPG game system called Big Eyes, Small Mouth to run our
epic Gundam/Macross/Evangelion/Escaflowne crossover series (guess which
world they wrak havoc in?), And it is a nice bit of work to make the
effects and action rolls more anime like than other systems.

Anyway, on the idea of anime misconception: yes, there are a lot of people
out there with mistaken or biased opinions on anime...I basically ask them
what they've watched, and then tell them what I've seen, and tell them what
I haven't seen...and then they get the picture of how narrow-minded they
were. of course, it doesn't work all the time...for people who won't
listen but are loudly proclaiming their anti-anime views, I simply smile
and walk away with all those I've converted in the argument. It gets
pretty funny that way.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter