Matt Hanyok (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 01:23:46 -0400

> Can Japanese DVD's run on an American PC? I'm getting a new Computer

Yes, the DVD drive is just a drive that reads the discs.

The catch here is that you need a software or hardware decoder (read: a DVD
player program or hardware decoder board) that supports different regions.
I'm not particularly fond of the Xing DVD player (http://www.xingtech.com/)
but it does have multiple region support, even if it doesn't work all the
time. I don't know of there are many others, but chances are the new system
will have a DVD player of some kind on it, which would most likely support
the different regions.

Matt "chicks are cool" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/
"Okay, but I'm going to need 10 full kegs, a continuous loop tape of 'Louie,
Louie' and a regulation two-story panty raid ladder." - Bender, Futurama