Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:09:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 15, 12:30pm, Kaworu Nagisa wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: [gundam] Anime=Cartoons?
> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:16:23 +1300 Tomonaga <Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> >

> >Kaworu Nagisa wrote:
> >
> >> Did you know that the Japanese call western cartoons
> >> "anime" too? Just a thought for all of us to reflect
> >> upon....
> >
> >In Japan 'anime' is a general term referring to all forms of animation. It
> >describes the media not the genre. It doesn't matter if it's for adults or
> >kids, if it is animated it is 'anime'. There is no word to distinguish one
> >from the other, in much the same way that 'live-action' doesn't specify if
> >it's for adults or children.
> >
> >Tet
>

> So, is it technically right for us to be using the word "anime" to refer
only to "Japanese cartoons"?

> Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)

Yes. The word 'anime' as used by the Japanese has now been separated from
the term 'anime' as used in the West to differentiate between an Akira movie
and a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I mean, what is grunge? Music can be 'grungy'
sounding but 'grunge' is that Seattle based overdriven rock rooted in
Black Sabbath, right? If everyone knows what you're talking about then
you can use it that way.

Alfred.

--
"...with a tale that will soon be classic
 about a woman you already know.

Alfred Urrutia - Disney FA - 818.526.3338 - alfredu@fa.disney.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-