-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:24:37 -0700

At 21:41 10/14/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>I have a few questions regarding Z Gundam and Newtypes:
>
>1) How powerful is the ZG's Hyper Mega Launcher? In most
> of the games I see it in, it is usually weaker than
> the Nu's Fin Funnels or the Wing's Buster Rifle for
> that matter...

Despite its high-falutin' name, the Hyper Mega Launcher is little more than
the Z's regular beam rifle on stearoids. It's twice as long, wide and deep
and therefore presumably anywhere from two to eight times as powerful,
although we see little evidence of that.

I'd rate it on par with the "Long Rifle" carried by the G-Defensor and used
as a sidearm by the Super Gundam (Gundam Mk.II + G-Defensor), which is on
par with a ship-mounted mega particle cannon. (The original Gundam's beam
rifle was rated as being equal to a ship-mounted beam cannon)

Neither the Hyper Mega Launcher nor the Long Rifle seems as powerful as the
Mega Bazooka Launcher deployed by Quattro in the 100 Shiki or the Hyper
Beam used by Won Lee in the Junior Mobile Suit, although the name "Hyper
Mega Launcher" would seem to imply a little of both.

>2) How invincible was the ZG when Camille did that power-
> up rainbow thing? Is it 100% invulnerable to anything?
> How did Camille do it?

That's the Hyper Mode, which has both an offensive and defensive posture.
Hyper Gundam is the Irresistable Force, Barriered Gundam the Immovable
Object. It's the Shining Finger, ZERO System and Satellite Cannon bit of
the UC world.

Camille doesn't initiate Hyper Mode so much as channel it. The power comes
from all of those fallen comrades (mostly female) who conjoin with Camille
like an army of Valkyries. The same thing happens with Jude Ashita in ZZ,
except that Jude suffers no psychic repercussions. On the other hand,
Hamaan accepts defeat gracefully rather than cursing her conqueror with her
dying breath....

>3) Were Char and Hamaan lovers?

Indeterminate.

All we have in the way of evidence is one (1) picture of Hamaan being cozy
with Char and the frosty way she acts toward him, referring often to his
lack of principle and treason toward Axis. But Char had earned Hamaan's
approbrium for sneaking off to the AEUG in the guise of Quattro when he was
ostensibly doing recce for Axis. She trusted him and he betrayed her -- it
matters little whether it was personal in addition to political.

Char was born circa UC 0059 (20 in UC 0079), although his Char identity was
supposedly born two years earlier, in UC 0057. Hamaan was born circa UC
0067 (16 in UC 0083), making her 10 years his junior officially and 8
actually. They would've been together when he was 21 to 24 (officially 23
to 26) and she 13 to 16 -- this after a tragic relationship with Lalar Sun,
who was somewhere between 16 and 18 when Char was 20 (officially 22)....

Personally, I don't think Char had either the time nor inclination to
consumate any romantic or sexual feelings that he and they may have had.
He probably just played on whatever feeling Hamaan had for him, as he did
with Lalar before her and Quess a decade later.

>4) What's so special about the Z Gundam?

Two words: Wave Rider. (Or, as the Sentinels gang prefers, VMSAWRS --
Variable Mobile Suit And Wave Rider System) The Z can transform into
re-entry capable flying armor. This transatmospheric capability is, I
believe, unique.

>5) Why did Char (as Quatro) side with um... Amuro, and
> later in CCA was against him again?

"The enemy of my enemies is my friend!"

"Politics makes strange bedfellows!"

No one was more surprised to find himself fighting beside Amura than
Quattro. He'd signed up with the AEUG in opposition to the Titans, who to
him were just the Feds being worse than usual. At the time Char became
Quattro, Amuro was ensconsed in his familial estate on Earth and was
apparently content to stay there while most of the rest of the former White
Base crew were joining the Kalaba. It wasn't until Episode 14 that Amuro
turned up with Katsu on the Audhumla that Quattro and he both got a rude
awakening.

-Z-