Kaworu Nagisa (17thangel@tokyo-3.com)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:58:42 -0400

>The old Warner Brothers, MGM, and Disney (among others) shorts were mostly
>produced in the 30s, 40s, and 50s, for theaterical distribution with a
>feature film, a practice which has sadly died out. These often had budgets
>for a six minute short which would be comparable to the budget for a thirty
>minute episode of an animated series in the US today. In addition, a new
>technique was pionerrored in the late 50s and early 60s called limited
>animation.

<snips>

 Oh... "Limited Animation" huh? So that's why the
 characters in He-Man kinda look funny when they're
 running? ^^;

<snips>

>The people making most american cartoons now completely fail to realize that
>all of the old Warner Brothers and MGM shorts that they grew up with were
>created with ADULT audiences in mind. If you go back and look at any of the
>Tex Avery 'Red Riding Hood' shorts from the late 40s at MGM, you'd be amazed
>at the overt sexual references found in these. This is for kids?!?

 WHAT!? "Red Riding Hood w/ overt sexual references"!?
 Is there a website of that with lotsa pics? I just got
 to see that! Please... somebody send me a pic or two. :)

>I think
>not. Likewise, anything Warner Brothers did during WW2 (although in a much
>darker and more disturbing vein.) Look at a Wartime short that came out of
>WB. In 'Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips,' Bugs, playing the role of the 'Good
>Rumor Man' hands a Japanese Soldier a Hand Grenade (sans pin) covered in Ice
>Cream, saying. "Here ya go, Slant-eyes." The racisim in this scene is
>appaling, even considering the overwealming national mood at the time. (And
>for this very reason, this is the one Warner Brothers short from this era
>which is /NEVER/ shown on TV.) And I'm not even going to get into the
>homoerotic undertones that some people read into the relationship between
>Bugs and Elmer Fudd. (Some things are too outrageously off the wall even
>for me.)

 Yeah, that's what makes me wonder. At least, some modern
 cartoons like "The Mask" (the guy w/ the green face, not
 the transformable vehicles) put such outrageous ideas
 into consideration. And yeah, it's really funny most of
 the time as well.

>> Hmm.... if that's the case, then I don't think anything
>> can be done about that. As I said, it's in the culture.
>>

>But the thing is that, while it is part of our culture, it's a part that
>many of us americans want to change...

 But... if there's really a lot of you who want to change
 it, how come the American animators and writers, aren't
 seem to be doing that much to completely revolutionize
 at least in the aspect of cartoons? Besides, wouldn't it be better if the cartoon makers there would have a target range not only limited to kids? More audience means a greater market, right?

>> Well I can't help it. But hey, if I were an animator and
>> the bigshots are gonna make me produce crap, I'd probably
>> look for a better company or something. By the way, who
>> does the character designing? The animators or the ones
>> in charge? If you ask me, cartoons like "Mummies Alive"
>> or "Swat Kats" would be a lot more spectacular if there
>> were a more connected storyline that leads to a definite
>> ending. "Mummies Alive" is so notable in the sense that
>> it has an anime feel to it, you know, the transformation
>> sequences, the armor designs, the martial arts?
>>
>>Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)
>>
>Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. Mummies Alive is, to me, pure eye candy. I
>watch the show because of the visuals. Personally, I find the writing to be
>substandard (although good by american kidvid standards.) However, even in
>the 80s, there were some standouts. Look at the first two seasons of the
>DiC Ghostbusters (based on the Ivan Riteman movie, as opposed to the
>Filmation Series, which was inspired by a couple of grade B schlock comedies
>from the 50s.) The first season or two of Ghostbusters stands out, due to
>the writing, even though the animation was substandard.)

 Yeah, Ghostbusters, both the old and new one is one (two)
 cool cartoon/s. I used to watch it everyday. By the way,
 does anyone remember "Jesse and the Wheeled Warriors"?
 Is that an anime or a cartoon?

> Any Show which has
>episodes based on Film Noir, Bad 50s Science Fiction Films (and penned by
>David Gerrold no less,) or Lovecraft (Never thought /I'd/ see Cuthulu in a
>cartoon!) is a lot of fun, but is decidedly NOT just a kids show.

 This is my chance.... what in the world does "Cthulhu" mean? I've been trying to look it up in dictionaries,
 encyclopedias, school library, and the internet for
 ages, and still I can't find what it means. ^^;

Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)