Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:31:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 14, 1:23pm, Edward Ju wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: No flames, please (was Re: [gundam] The Uglyness of Turn X)

> >I hope you're not looking into a career in marketing.
>
> So now you are a marketing expert, and my USC Business degree is speaks
> nothing of my knowledge in marketing? Now I am worried for all the Fortune

Marketing expert? No. Neither are you. Your USC Business Degree speaks
only of your ability to earn a USC Business Degree, nothing more. Yet.
I got a degree in Computer Science. Almost nothing, I mean *nothing*, that
I was taught transfered to the real world. You'll figure this out, too.

> I don't seem to recall the movie putting the book back on any best-seller
> list, do you? Sure, the book benefitted from the movie, but its sales are
> pitiful compared to the novelization of Star Wars Episode I, which goes
> right back to my point of profit maximization that is possible with a brand
> new
> story, and the market cannibalization problem inherently associated with
> producing a series out of an existing story.

Wow. That's exactly how suits think. Maybe you do have a huge future in
"marketing" as far as Hollywood executes that concept. No risk taking, no
new ideas, just do what's been done in the past. No "Blair Witch Project"s
in that future, no eBays or Dodge Vipers, either.

> So you are now claiming renewed interest in an old story generates more
> revenue than a brand new story, given that the stories are of equal quality
> and audience pull?

I am claiming it *can* generate it, yes. To put it another way, not being
able to prove god exists does not equal god does not exist. Future marketing
campaigns and such are not completely reliant on the past. I mean, the Rams
(NFL) have lost to the '49s like the last 19 times in a row. Why did they
bother playing at all, then? But they did and the '49s got the beating of
their lives last week. So, too, can a new attempt at what you feel is
"unmaximizable" bear great fruit. If X has never worked before are you saying
no one should try now? No more experiments on nuclear fusion, either? That
hasn't worked yet.

> Did Super Mario Brothers get a jump in sales when the movie came out? How
> about Double Dragon? I can't even find the damn game in the arcades when
> the movie came out. Did my Spawn action figures get pumped up in value when
> the movie came out? No, no, no.

Yes, when you need an example pull from the worst of the worst. I guess that
would be true of a movie with an actual story and actors, too, then.

> And how was Cameron's a remake of any other Titanic movie previously made?
> Just because all these movies take place on the sinking boat, they are
> remakes of the same story?

Same event, with an added romance, and not a good one at that. A *new
approach*, that is what I was getting at. Remake "A Night To Remember"?
Why? Ah, but add X and Y and Z and jazz it up with better effects and
some popular actors, bingo, 600 million domestically. New take on old,
known idea. Bandai can do it, too, if they'd think outside their small
box.

> Given your argument, why doesn't Hollywood just recycle every movie they've
> ever made, instead of making new ones? It's got built-in audience
> recognition, and can boost sales of their library of aging titles, heck
> yeah! Let's make more movies like "The Haunting", or "Psycho: the Gus
> Van Sant version"!

They do that already. The Brady Bunch movie spawned new interest in those
horrible sitcom episodes. A long running tv show like "The Rugrats" spawned
a movie and put new interest in the series, too. Toys were already around
for Southpark yet the movie was very popular and more toys have showed up.
You imply that there is one approach to marketing and that a movie or series
either fits or doesn't for maximum profit. I say there are multiple ways to
market anything. Everybody thought the James Bond franchise was dead until
Pierce was hired.

> Aw, don't give me that "so what" speech. BACK IT UP. I've given you
> multiple counter examples for each example you had. BACK IT UP.

Aw, don't give me worst case scenarios for every point you're trying to
prove and pass them off as the norm.

> If you believe in your point at all, go talk to Mike Eisner now and convince
> him to make a theatrical version of "The Lion King II: Simbad's Price". Why?
> Given your logic, the original straight-to-vieo release of The Lion King 2
> will get renewed interest, along with the new movie, and benefit from it.
> It is such a good idea, when properly executed, it cannot fail. Let's see if
> Eisner promotes you to head of marketing or, heaven forbid, fire you right on
> the spot for wasting his time (not to mention company time and resources on
> personal e-mails).

Again, your worst case scenario. These guys haven't come up with one good
idea or decent update in over 10 years. Toy Story was Pixar's deal. These
guy market based on "demographics", same as most and they're also hamstrung
by being a parody of themselves, restricted to marketing only to kids and
families. They've lost whatever creativity Walt ever gave them. If Eisner
made me head of marketing that would be proof positive to me that I didn't
know anything about anything. No thanks.

> Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see more U.C. action as much as the next guy
> and it'd be sweet if they did animate Sentinel, F-90, and Blue Destiny.
> However, I don't don't think your insulting my intelligence and making
> personal attacks is warranted when I merely stated my opinion that given
> Bandai's attitude on money, such series will never get made.

Lighten up. When so many people accused you of insulting them that didn't
affect your approach. Not that I agreed with them or anything but next time
you want to state an opinion about Bandai's attitude, describe it as such
instead of writing your response so it reads as your own view. I mean, if
you're a representative of Bandai's marketing philosophy, that's one thing.
If you're just telling me how you see Bandai's marketing process, well,
you're no closer than anybody else.

Alfred.

--
"...with a tale that will soon be classic
 about a woman you already know.

Alfred Urrutia - Disney FA - 818.526.3338 - alfredu@fa.disney.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-