Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:30:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 13, 9:16am, Kaworu Nagisa wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: [gundam] Anime VS Cartoons
>

> Okay okay... so I missed that point. Fine. But don't
> you wish the makers of animation there would put a
> little more "heart" in their work like I think what
> the Japanese are doing?

Well, ya, that's obvious. They don't try over here anymore. If it
weren't for John Krikfalusi(sp?) or the Southpark guys there wouldn't
have been any decent animation in the last 10 years. You forget where
our animation comes from. 6 minute shorts in theaters, The Flintstones,
etc. Short and funny. Different everytime (e.g. Bugs Bunny meeting
Christopher Columbus or the Pink Panther fighting dinosaurs for food).
That is the root of our expectations and it is a hard thing to shake.
Personally, I prefer old WB and MGM cartoons over anything else.

> 2) The uniquness - there is this certain quality in
> anime that I never really saw in most western
> cartoons. In anime, you get to see really wild
> and fresh new ideas. In western cartoons, all
> I USUALLY see are "laser guns" that work like
> stun rays or something. Guns... guns... guns...
> duh. Why do they have to limit themselves to
> that? I think this one's in the culture....

Again, look at the two approaches. In Japan its a huge industry
that's geared to adults as much as kids. Not here. Here it's a
risk that's meant mostly for kids. Also, it appears to the suits
that only Disney can get their money back from dumping millions
into animation so the others don't think it can be done.

> One thing that puzzles me is that why do the western
> animators tend to make every character buffed and yet
> oftentimes wimps? Heck, even Super Bikkuriman could
> wipe out the entire X-Men. Look at Rival Schools...
> there you have over-buffed 15-yr. olds, but their
> bodies matches it's use. You know what I'm getting
> at?

Ask the suits who are in charge. You think the animators *like*
drawing crap show after crap show? You think it's their idea? You
have a low regard for them if that's the case.

Alfred.