Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 12, 12:36pm, Kaworu Nagisa wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: [gundam] Anime VS Cartoons

> Wait, what I meant with "aesthetics" is... well, try
> comparing the mecha designs of Battletech with that
> of Macross or Gundam. I think you'll see what I mean.

You're saying that Battletech represents the best that Western animation
has to offer vs. Macross or Gundam? You mind explaining that?

> Well, if non-Japanese will do anime and keep the nice
> anime elements intact, fine. But what if they don't?
> Wouldn't that be just horrible?

Sure, the Westerners haven't quite mastered the core elements like the
underage sex scenes, the required nuke blast that takes out Tokyo *again*
(although I suppose for the U.S. we'd substitute New York), the young
whiner kid who, by virtue of his scheming father gene-engineering him,
is more capable of operating the super weapon mech than any pilot who's
actually trained for it, the idol singer love triangle, etc. etc. You
seriously want an entire second set of animators and directors producing
*more* of that stuff? Maybe a team of girls in Catholic school uniforms
saving the Earth while at the same time prickteasing every boy in their
classes? Certainly there needs to be an Emmy category for that, it's
been ignored for too long. Maybe I'm alone here but I'd welcome a new
approach to some of that.

Me.