Paul Fields (johnny_raiden@hotmail.com)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 13:33:18 EDT

Depends on wether or not your Director is "Gaijin"
or "Otaku" Westerners aren't all that oblivious to
Eastern culture. "The Magnificent Seven" was a rip
off of the "Seven Samurai" and it is a well known
fact that George Lucas is heavily influenced by the
works of Akira Kurosawa. Something like "The Matrix"
couldn't have happened ten years ago because the FX
didn't exist back then, not because Westerners did
not know anything about Japanese cinema. For that
matter take a John Woo movie with Chow Yun Fat, and
contrast it to movies by Woo, starring Jean Claude
Van Damme, or John Travolta. Then take movies like
"The Replacement Killers" and tell me if it is just
one man that makes a movie ANIME, or many people in
conjunction that make it work. For my last examples
take "Street Fighter The Movie" and compare it to
the Tim Burton "Batman" its not just cheesy dialogue
that makes or breaks these movies, its directors and
actors too. The movies that have worked have Fringe
Elements in them.

Writer
Director
Cameraman
Actors
FX Crews

In Japan all of these people are Eastern, for the
most part, but having one part played by a eastern
influenced Westerner doesn't hurt things if all the
other elements are there.

Dirty Pair - Written by a Westerner
Final Yamato - Some Cel work done Studio IronCat's
      Steve Bennet.

There are more, but I can't think of them all right
now.

Syd Mead - Westerner, no Anime Influence... But even
      he paints a mean Gundam Mk II...