Su, Rodrick (rsu@tigana.com)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:10:01 -0700

I thought in corporate and military usage, it is appropriate to use by a
higher ranking employee/officer to a lower ranking employee/officer. I ran
into this when watching "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor" where Captain
Tylor frequently address his first officer Lt. Yamamoto as "Yamamoto-kun"
and thought he was putting down Yamamoto. But the usage is correct, and
would translate to US Navy as "Mr. Yamamoto". It would have been insulting
if Tylor use "Yamamoto-chan". :)